The Beauty of Life's Christmas Tree Romance

Its funny, we all want love.  We all want to live rich and full lives.

Once when I was little I drew a picture for a friend's baby of a baby wrapped up in sapphire blue curtains sitting before a window I had never seen.  I am now sitting in a living room with Christmas lights reflecting off a beautiful golden wooden floor that was once buried under layers of grungy carpet in front of a beautiful picture window draped in sapphire blue curtains.  Nothing about my house is ordinary, it is filled with quaint corners and hidden treasures that I have never seen before in other homes.  I have lived here for roughly five years now and suddenly it is blossoming from a house into a home.

Each room is literally filled with girls seeking out their callings and starting their lives.  A nurse, an airline attendant, a beauty school student and me…a world traveling high school drug and alcohol counselor (lately lacking in the world traveling department)!

When I bought the house the basement didn't look to good but I was assured it was ok. Over the course of the last 5 years I found out it was not ok and spent great amounts of time mopping water, 'fanning' carpet. and praying for a miracle.  

I want my home to be a blessing to young girls starting out…especially in their early twenties…who want to live rich and full lives…not seeking after a man but seeking after God and loving life and others well.  In the spring one of the girls lost her job and then it was literally months…almost 6 months…before she found one again.  That job did not pay so well and she could no longer afford rent.  I was forced to cash in my retirement to finish paying off bills and so a quandary was faced..to remain as we were or add on.

A few months later another girl came to town needing a place to stay and also needing to pay less in rent.  Around the same time a grant was procured to help fix the basement. So in October they started working on the basement….that was the last time I saw my bed….Since that time I started sleeping on the couch and then my nurse roommate, who used to share a bed and room with two other sisters offered to let me share a corner of her bed.  The new girl moved in and onto the couch so four girls have been squatting in a two room one bath cute little house….and it has been awesome!

There has been Christmas tree shopping and laughter finding out that the beautiful wood floor was sloped and in over watering the tree the floor got a slightly more…'worn' look.  There has been massive amounts of late night construction followed by hours of laughter.  Getting a mattress stuck in the stairway and having to destroy the hand railing to get it in.  tying a piece of carpet that was the exact size needed and exact price prayed for  to the top of a little hyundai and watching the Lowes guys hold their breathe and pray it wouldn't fall off on this crazy woman's way home.  Then 5 shelfs bought for an excellent deal on another late night excursion and the nurse having to pull her seat forward and squeeze up tight so they would fit, while holding twine so the back hatch would remain closed and the shelves not fall out on the drive home.

There have been conversations of longing, and lots of TV marathons, random adventures and mostly laughter.  I caught myself looking at photos of people who just seem so perfect…who look to have rich and loving lives and it hit me that mine is a book I would love to read filled with life and people who are rich and colorful.  There is not one moment or person I would remove.  Like a Christmas tree filled with random ornaments collected through the years tell the story of a persons life and the lights twinkle of magic yet to come..., so do the people and chapters of my life.  I think my life right now is a beautiful Christmas tree filled with life and light and sparkling chapters both told and untold.  And there may not be romantic love in this season (there once was and it sits like a beautiful beacon of its own) but really the whole tree, my whole life…even this season ….is a romantic tale of life and God's great and abundant love towards me.  

Comments

Popular Posts