Love Notes for Broken Hearts

Being single in a small town rural America  is never easy.  If you are not into the bar scene its nearly impossible.  However, I did manage to find some incredible friends and God taught me to start living life in a way that was filled with adventure and romance.

One day God challenged me to start looking for His little love notes for me every day.  I can't remember exactly why or how it started.  I am sure reading John Eldridges book Wild at Heart had something to do with it.  To think of God as someone who literally woos us and wants to be in relationship with us, not in a sexual way, but in a deep and intimate manner, was something new to me.

But I was up for the challenge.  I think it started the day I was walking to work depressed, as per my normal routine.  My little town holds all the scars and beauty of what was once a thriving community, but now is dilapidated old buildings with character and charm and in need of love...and money.  I was shuffling along that cold spring morning.  The grass was still brown.  The leaves had not even started to bud and there lying in the middle of the cracked pavement was a  little bunch of hand picked flowers.  Little wild ones laying like someone had placed them there.  I looked around.  I was standing next to the old Yellow brick building that used to house the only orthodontist in town, I used to think of his office as a sort of torture chamber where I would count dots on the ceiling while he wrestled my teeth into place with his mammoth hands.  It had gone out of business when he was decapitated in a freak driving accident through a construction zone, on his  way to visit his daughter in college.  My flowers lay  one building to the right in front of the little abandoned house where I used to watch a man come out and hand water his tiny lawn as I went up to the orthodontist.  They didn't make me think of funeral flowers.  They made me think of a sweet heart laying them where his love would know that they would be found, on a street and in a time of her life where she felt completely alone.

I looked up and there were no people around.  As far as I knew these flowers were not even in bloom yet.  But they reminded me that I was loved, and not alone, and this season would not last forever. Literally God gave me a miracle of flowers.  Another time I went out to start my car for work.  Up and down the street were cars.  All of the windows of those cars were clear glass; but the windows on my car were covered in frost.  And the frost was in the shape of roses.  Hundreds of frost roses covered my car in beauty.  I was so amazed that God would leave me such a unique love note.

There are so many love notes He has left me over the years.  Many of them I have  taken for granted and stopped looking for. But I promise you that whether you are single or married God has love notes for you.  Each and every day He hides them in your life and through out your day.  You merely need to take the time to look.  

Comments

Popular Posts